Sunday, December 14, 2008

Thank God for CNN

Today's top story: "A man identified as an Iraqi journalist threw shoes at -- but missed -- President Bush during a news conference Sunday evening in Baghdad, where Bush was making a farewell visit. In Arab culture, throwing shoes at someone, or sitting so that the bottom of a shoe faces another person, is considered an insult."

Okay...unlike, where, exactly, where chucking footwear at someone is a compliment?

So, Portland is having this once-in-a-century kind of blizzard thing. The cats and I are curled up under the tree listening to the wind howl. There is nothing on TV. I am actually considering watching the SciFi original movie about the great white shark terrorizing the canals of Venice. I'll probably just watch until a gondola gets eaten and then go to bed.

I'll leave you with this parting thought:

5 comments:

Spencer said...

why couldnt he throw a little lower?! lower!

kr said...

that cat does not look impressed ;). Caption: "Merry fucking Christmas, betch."

TV: I just watched "Samantha Who?" on the abc web-viewer. There must be some abc show you like. The web-viewer is pretty cool, and some of the ads are even worth watching ;). The kids like the Carnival talking-towel-critters ... the "you're expecting (x) from a luxury car ad" ad was probably my favorite series (Infiniti, maybe?).

Here's hoping there's good TV on for the next, what, four days?

Storm: Dude, you missed the week-long freeze-in of 2004. THAT was fugly. Freezing rain under snow, frozen, topped with freezing rain. NOT FUNNY. I am TOTALLY fine with this current freak-cold as long as there is NO RAIN. no rain. None. Zip. Nada. (In full disclosure, my part of town was frozen in for two+ days more than the rest of town, and the conditions were all exaggerated here ... so I am especially bitter. Plus I got a scar that took two years to go away when I was trying to break away enough ice around the foundation to keep the thaw from running straight into my basement.)

My word verification: ladiesa
The possibilities are endless ...

My second one (took to long I did, hmm?): dents
now that's an actual word. I can't decide if that's careless of the programmer(s) or not ...

LeLo said...

Nothin' says Merry Christmas like a cat with a wreath on. Such a lucky cat!

;)

Jeff said...

I believe throwing shoes is considered a compliment in the Republic of Adidastan.

Also, your cat seems to be dressed as Elizabeth I.

rashida said...

I have read his book and I agree with most of the insights he brings to light. It's really interesting to read it. i really enjoyed it.


good