Monday, December 20, 2004

Subway Madness

It was 13 degrees this morning, so I passed on my usual 20 minute walk from Columbus Circle to my temporary office and instead rode the subway all the way to work, which involved two transfers.

I got off the A express train at 59th Street/Columbus Circle, and from there I had to transfer to either the B or the D train, which I ride one stop to 7th Avenue, and then transfer to the E, which I ride one stop to 5th Avenue. If that sounds slightly ridiculous, I agree...but if the connections are smooth, it saves 10-15 minutes timewise. Did I mention it was 13 degrees this morning?

Now, above 59th Street, the D is an express train and the B is local. However, below 59th, the B and the D make all the same stops. So this morning while I was waiting on the platform, the Brooklyn-bound B train arrived first. Everyone got on. But then a Brooklyn-bound D train pulled in on the opposite track. Now, remember, these trains go exactly the same places. But all these people suddenly bolted off the B train and ran across the platform to the D. On an uptown train, I could understand, because the D goes nonstop from 59th 125th. But downtown, there's no difference.

So then a dispatcher announces over the loudspeaker that the B train will be leaving the station first. Naturally, everyone comes hurtling off the D train back on to the B. So many people are fighting to get on the B train that the doors are unable to close; naturally the D train closes its doors and sails out of the station.

When will people learn that sometimes being patient is the fastest way to accomplish something?

1 comment:

Matthew said...

Ah, this makes me miss my days in NY. This same logic holds true for staying in a slow-moving lane, and not jumping to anothe queue in the grocery store. Good writing.