Friday, February 04, 2005

Don't Tease the Heteros

I went card-shopping for a friend who's having her birthday party tonight. (I hope she doesn't read this until tomorrow!)

Have you ever noticed how hard it is to find a GOOD birthday card? They're all so terrible. So I decided to just run with that trend and pick out a card that was spectacularly inappropriate and hope she gets the joke: it's Darth Vader wishing you "a most impressive" birthday. That has to be the lamest card you could get an exceptionally attractive, über-talented 20-something woman currently skyrocketing her way to operatic stardom. I signed it, "May the Force Be With You."

I got in line to pay and there was a pretty girl ahead of me who gave me a nice smile. I showed her the card and said, "Do you think my girlfriend will like this?"

"Umm...is she a Star Wars fan?"

"No," I said, as cluelessly as I could.

Pause.

"She'll love it," the girl said supportively.

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I'm sure she'll love it. I would have given you a great look ;) Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting. I also appreciate you're counter argument while being polite. Thanks! I'll watch your blog to learn more as well. I'm open minded!

Trickish Knave said...

You know, when it comes to cards it doesn't matter if you spend 5 minutes picking it out or 5 seconds- the woman will love it. I have gotten cards for my wife where I didn't even open the damn thing up. She loved it. Conversely, I spent about 10 minutes in Hallmark reading sappy cards trying to find the "perfect" card and I got the same elated reaction I did when I gave her the one I spent no time picking out.

Women are sappy and just like the card. Period. I'm not a sappy guy and my wife knows that so when i get her a card it is a big deal. Besides, most of the cards really do suck and they all say the same shit anyway.

Anonymous said...

It's not that women are sappy; it's that we appreciate ANY effort that men make to please us.

p.p. said...

Call me anal, but I spend a lot of time picking out the perfect card. The better ones always seem to cost like 5 bucks! I hate Hallmark. I prefer independent stores.

SailRacer said...

I agree with Peter on the hating Halmark thing.. It is kinda always too disney-esque to me.. The vadar thing is good, though. And yes, girls like the sentiment more than the content.