Thursday, September 07, 2006

Palm Springs

Before I say anything else, a HUGE thank you to my friends Kevin and John, who invited me out to their weekend retreat in Palm Springs and were such amazingly generous hosts that I spent far less money on my vacation than I would have had I just stayed at home in New York.

Really, the trip couldn’t have been better. By nature I am an early riser, so with jet lag working in my favor, I arose about 6 each morning, still feeling like I had slept in. Each day began with a little yoga by the pool in the backyard under the palm trees, and then I would walk about 20 minutes (a mind-boggling distance, by southern California standards) to the nearby Albertson’s to get coffee.

Architecture and décor in Palm Springs is something the mo’s refer to as “Mid Century Modern,” a style whose most influential interior designer seems to have been Judy Jetson. I think my desert tastes are more in line with Santa Fe, where architecture tries to be in harmony with the natural surroundings while drawing heavily on native influences. Palm Springs doesn’t harmonize with the desert, it waters itself into atonal tropical lushness.

Every afternoon was spent reclining by the pool, sipping cocktails, and going for a quick swim when the 100º + heat became too intense. I really, really, really enjoyed being that lazy. During the entire trip, I never once checked email or read a newspaper or paid any attention to the world at large. The days would conclude with hot-tubbing under the stars, champagne or cocktail in hand, until my brain was gently boiled into mush and I slipped quickly into deep, relaxed sleep.

Highlights of the trip included visiting The Living Desert, a very chi-chi brunch at Spencer’s, and drinks at Toucan’s, the only bar in the country that accepts Medicare. Really, the best part was just soaking up the sun while getting better acquainted with my iPod.

Monday we drove back to K&J’s place in West Hollywood, and then had a couple of drinks at The Abbey and Fiesta’s, where I met up with my old pal Audrey, whom I’ve known since sixth grade. Audrey then took me off to a barbecue in Sherman Oaks, where I impressed the Angelenos by saying I live on Manhattan’s chic Upper North Side.

*****
Even though I still think Southern California is a bit weird, I just feel so much more at home out west than I do in New York, despite living here almost 13 years. Neither area has the perky efficiency of customer service in the Northwest, but in LA it’s due to a relaxed, easy-going attitude, instead of hostile apathy generously mixed with incompetence. New York, in typical fashion, welcomed me back by losing my luggage.

6 comments:

Gino said...

seems you did just about all there is to do in palm springs.
i never could understand the allure of that place.

now LA, much to do, so much to do in fact, that i avoid it like the plague. i just stay hidden away in orange county til my day comes to go elswhere.
and it'll be here soon.

Jade said...

I think that is about all there is to do in Southern California, unless you are in "The Business" or hiding from the heat in the air conditioning. (Come back to the west coast!)

DJRainDog said...

"Manhattan's chic Upper North Side"
Hysterical. That MUST be how they're selling this place to the New-York-clueless gayboys from middle America who seem to arrive every day.

Elizabeth said...

I really don't like Palm Springs. We have to pass through there to get to my in-laws house in Tucson, so my kids and I always make a game out of comparing our car to the cars on the road with us, with ours coming out much more favorably because ours is functional and didn't cost a bundle. :-)

We're headed to California for vacation, too--this morning, as soon as my husband finishes getting the suitcases tied to the roof of our car. We'll get as far south as....Fresno. Ugh. But we won't be there too long. Mostly San Francisco and north of Eureka, camping on the coast.

Oh, you didn't mention doing the best thing there is to do in Palm Springs--the tram.

Andy said...

We decided to save the tram for next time.

Anonymous said...

Maybe you should come explore what most New Yorkers are too snobby to admit - the West Coast is THE BEST COAST! ;)

There are oodles of things to do in LA. That is why I live smack dab in the middle. I'm close to it all.