Monday, September 27, 2004

Random Events and Such

I am home from a dull day at work, spent chasing down email addresses of reporters. The secondary assistant in the International Department was fired last week by the plastic-surgery lady. Apparently there weren't enough chairs in the board room for a meeting they had, and this is now a fire-able offense. Thankfully, I am going to San Francisco next week and already committed to replacing someone on the 4th floor when I get back while she goes on vacation, so, dang, I'm just not available to cover International. That really breaks my heart. Not.

As I came out of the subway station at 81st and Central Park West this morning there was a man playing a trumpet with back-up orchestra on a boom-box. It sounded like Mozart to me, but he didn't write any trumpet concerti...however he did write some horn concerti, so perhaps it was transcribed. Or it could have been a Haydn trumpet concerto. Anyway, I'm wondering if trumpet-karaoke is a rage that will soon sweep the country? My dad could be very popular with the four bars of "Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White" that he still remembers.

Now I'm home listening to La Traviata. It's a nice quiet, warm evening, though a little humid...the remnants of Hurricane Jeanne have blown a lot of humid air up our way, to be followed by torrents of rain and wind late tonight or tomorrow morning. During the commute, no doubt. Thankfully at lunch today I did remember to go to the drugstore and buy a new umbrella. They didn't have black, so I got green.

I vocalized for like 30 minutes when I got home, the first I've really tried since getting over the flu. I got tired fast. But the sound was okay. I'm physically tired. I haven't been doing my yoga. I'm uninspired. Unmotivated. I just want to be fat and lazy.

I will probably watch The Empire Strikes Back on DVD tonight.

This is random. You don't have to read it.

The Washington Post continued with Part 2 of their profile of the young gay boy in Oklahoma. I am so glad I didn't grow up there! Are people really that ignorant and cruel? It amazes me. There are also links to a photo gallery; he's so cute! Can I adopt him? He can bring his country music collection, but the souped-up pickup with the flames and the chrome tailpipes has to stay in Tulsa.

Speaking of cruel, I got this in an email today from someone. Now, let's set this up. This person stood me up for dates twice. There were many, many, many things he did that set off all kinds of alarms and red flags. When he wanted to make arrangements to meet yet again, I declined. Today he asked for an explanation, and I gave it to him. When he wrote back, here is what he said:

"It's a sad day when people like yourself run rampant, [expletive] anything that has a hole while we sit around and scratch our heads about why HIVand STDs are on the rise in the gay culture."

Oh, yeah, that's me, all right. Show me a donut or a tire and I'm fumbling for my zipper. Well, on the positive side, I apparently pissed him off so much that he no longer wants a 3rd chance.

In other news, in case there was any doubt, the Israeli Government demonstrated today that they are in fact terrorists, by killing a Palestinian in Syria who they claimed had ties to Hamas. Details here. Now, come on. A car bomb? This is supposed to be legitimate how? I mean, assassinations are just bad to begin with, but that's despicable. It wasn't even in Israeli occupied territories (i.e., the Gaza strip, etc.), they actually went into a foreign country and committed a terrorist act. I don't care who the victim was or what heinous crimes he may very possibly have been connected with. You don't pull crap like that. If you know where he is, you go through diplomatic ties to have him arrested and then he needs to be tried in a court of law. There are actually Israelis who think that 97 U.N. resolutions have been passed against them because of rampant anti-Semitism. Hello? No, it's because your government is run by thugs.

No comments: