Friday, May 20, 2005

Rant

Who is the asshole that designed those fucking two-faucet sinks? You know, with one faucet for ice cold and one faucet for scalding hot and never the twain shall meet? Even worse are the ones that you actually have to press down on in order to get water to come out, so that you can never rinse both hands at the same time.

Who thought that was a good idea?

And who buys them? Probably some un-hygienic freak who's never washed his hands in his life so he never considered how frickin' inconvenient and illogical such a retarded-ass sink is.

It's cold and raining today. My umbrella is broken. I don't know what it is. I lived in Oregon for 12 years and I don't remember ever having to deal with a broken umbrella. In Manhattan, I buy about one umbrella a month.

Question for the ages: when it's raining, how do you stop at the coffee cart and manage to pick up your breakfast, take out your wallet and pay for it while holding your umbrella? And now that you're holding a bag containing coffee and a donut, how do you get your wallet out again to show the security guy your building pass?

Easy. You put the umbrella down. It's so windy it'll just rip apart anyway.

So I was a little wet when I got to work. So was my paper bag. So was my donut.

The coffee guy -- he's so adorably cute, so I'll let it go -- put my Friday Boston Creme in the bag with the chocolate side facing the coffee cup. Also the coffee cup lid leaked. So when I got to my cubicle and set the bag down, a chocolate/coffee/rainwater puddle immediately started spreading across my desk. Fortunately I had napkins on hand.

I reached into the bag to take out the coffee, and all the chocolate frosting from the donut has melted and stuck to the cup. The cup has more frosting than my donut.

TGIF.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

My god, I can't imagine what your Mondays are like.

Andy said...

With me it's not so much about what day of the week it is, just what's the weather doing. Today is dark and cold and wet. So am I.

Anonymous said...

serves you right for supporting the fat cats running the BIG WHEAT industry

wheat = poison

Anthony said...

Took me a moment to remember what a faucet is, though if it's of any consolation, the rarity of mixer taps is not confined to the States. The French have it sussed; we Brits don't.

I'm not sure what to make of the Manhattan climate being wetter than Scotland - even I don't get through that many umbrellas! - but is this guy so cute it makes up for his lack of common sense? You could always have breakfast at home ...

(Attempt at level-headed advice over.)

Andy said...

Sussed? I am unfamiliar wit this verb. It sounds dirty.

You can't ask a New Yorker to get their own breakfast at home. Getting coffee from a cart on the street is part of tradition. It's our lifestyle, our cultural identity. You might not realize this, but originally the Statue of Liberty was going to be holding up a small paper cup that read "I [Heart] NY," until someone suggested that the torch-thingy would be even more welcoming. Today I'm not so sure. After a long, depressing transatlantic voyage in steerage, a grande mochaccino with whip sounds mighty good. Mmmm, whip.

Also, I want to add that I'm really tired of getting anonymous flames from the anti-wheat lobby. Get a real issue.

Anthony said...

Ah. As Kate Beckinsale says in the delightful Shooting fish, "who am I to deprive an American of what little tradition he can get?"

On a slightly more serious note, never mind the supposed dirtiness of the verb to suss (it isn't), I assume you mean whipped cream. "Whip" conjures up an altogether different image!

Andy said...

Tony, I don't know what to do with you. First you write that LOTR does nothing for you, then you link to a Kate Beckinsale movie. Gross.

Yes, whipped cream. Mmmm.

Anthony said...

To the best of my knowledge, it's the only decent film she's made. I'd say "Much ado about nothing" as well, but you wouldn't watch that for her, not with Kenneth Branagh and Emma Thompson around.

I do, however, stand firm on LOTR. Sorry!

Andy said...

Oh, I forgot to comment on the cute coffee-cart guy. He's Azerbaijani or some random ethnicity. His name is Arthur, which doesn't fit him at all. He's probably about 5 foot nothing, but he's very muscular, super sweet and has a very nice smile. Sigh.

Anonymous said...

* Sigh *

I hated living in England (with all due respect, Tony) because of those faucets :(

That said, I found those in Paris too...

Anthony said...

The odd thing is that, in Britain at least, you get both sorts, only the mixers tend to be confined to kitchens - presumably so you can get the right temperature of water for doing the dishes. Strange that freezing or scalding your hands in the bathroom should remain of lesser importance.

At least those toilets where you crouch over a hole have never made it across the Channel!

Jess said...

I think those sinks go back to when people would fill the basin with a mix of the waters and work from that. How they would wind up in public washrooms is beyond me.

Actually, how they'd end up in any setting in the past 30 or 40 years is beyond me.

As for the umbrella thing, don't ask me. I'm likely to spill everything on myself! ;)

Matthew said...

bleck, weather does have a dramatic effect on mood. That's one of the main reasons I had to move out of Germany. The dark, wet, cold winters were killing me. I'm convinced that German beer has photosythetic properties, and that's how they all get through the winter. Beer, and lots of it.