Friday, May 13, 2005

Yeah, that'll happen

Do you ever wake up from a dream and wonder what's wrong with your brain?

So I just had this dream that I was driving around with my dad talking about what a great movie Whatever Happened to Baby Jane was. He particularly liked my impersonation of Bette Davis doing Joan Crawford ordering liquor over the phone. (Which in my dream was almost as impressive as knowing the recipe for glue.)


On a roll as Bette Davis, I gargled out, "Drink your drink."

"Ha, that was a good one," said Dad.

My father is a teetotaling southern baptist.

5 comments:

Anthony said...

To quote one of your posts to my blog, "you inspired me". Dreams are funny things ...

Andy said...

After I posted this I thought maybe I should clarify my father's position a bit. He doesn't drink on principle, but I think that has more to do with a history of alcohol abuse in the family than with religion. He's not going to argue that Christ passed a glass of Welch's around at the Last Supper. Similarly, on special occasions he does allow himself a glass of wine. Once he was in a restaurant in a small town in Oregon and decided to live it up a bit. He asked the waitress what kind of wines they had available.

Her answer?

"Small and large."

Anthony said...

That response could either lead one to give up on the stuff entirely (in disgust) or drink rather more to numb the pain ...

Your father's chosen the better path!

Matthew said...

"But ya' are, Blanche! Ya' are in that chair."

Andy said...

For some reason I always forget about that line, and each time I see the movie it still manages to catch me off guard and I howl in laughter.