Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Play This Up, People!

I never read the "Boldface Names" column in the NY Times because I really don't care, and I rarely know who the names are anyway. However, today's column is about what happened when Michael Moore and Mel Gibson met up yesterday at the People's Choice Awards.

It's absolutely true that the press, at least, has tagged Fahrenheit 9/11 as the blue-state movie of 2004 and Passion of the Christ as the battle-standard of the "moral values" red-state voters. Frank Rich, a columnist whom I greatly admire, has repeatedly made this comparison.

Gibson's response?

"They're trying to pit us against each other in the press, but it's a hologram. They really have got nothing to do with one another."

Moore's response?

"I saw it twice. It's a very powerful film. I'm a practicing Catholic. The great thing about this country is the diversity of voices. When we limit the voices, we cease being a free society."

Now, here's the kicker. Gibson went on to say, "He makes some salient points. There was some very expert, elliptical editing going on. However, what the hell are we doing in Iraq? No one can explain to me in a reasonable manner that I can accept why we're there, why we went there, and why we're still there."

I wish this quote wasn't buried in the socialite column. How I wish I could confront the slobbering Christian right with it. I'd just like to see their reaction. Maybe they'd start boycotting Gibson and his movies?

1 comment:

SailRacer said...

I can't bring myself to see Passion. The whole hoop-la around the movie scares me. It further scares me that I just used the term hoop-la.