Monday, January 24, 2005

Really, Really Bad News

Today's commute was truly awful but I decided not to blog about it. It was painfully slow; the conductors weren't sure whether they were supposed to be going express or making all local stops on the A train. There was a fire over the weekend, so the C train, which typically goes local, wasn't running at all.

If you don't live in NY, you might have a hard time imagining the chaos. At rush hour, those local stations are served by two trains, the B and the C. Between 125th Street and 59th Street, those are the only options along Central Park West. Local trains arriving at Columbus Circle to connect with express trains and the Broadway local are always packed to capacity. Now imagine that service on that line has been cut in half.

So now the New York Times reports: "A subway fire that gutted an underground communications room has crippled two of New York City's busiest subway lines, the A and the C, and full service may not be restored for three to five years, officials announced today."

NOOOOOOOOOOO!

"The A train has been running at two-thirds of its normal frequency, meaning that riders face a wait of 8 to 12 minutes. Service on the C line, which normally runs from 168th Street in Washington Heights, Manhattan, to Euclid Avenue in East New York, Brooklyn, has been suspended indefinitely."

This is really bad news for folks in my neighborhood; the A train is already so full that riding it is pure torture. To think that trains will be even further apart now is devastating, especially since come February monthly tickets go up to $76 from $70. Additionally, if there's going to be no C service for a long time, then the A will have to make at least some additional local stops, and possibly all stops, which is really going to both slow down the ride and add to the passenger overload.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You did blog about it. Jackass!!

Andy said...

I see why this was unclear. I meant that I assumed it was just another bad day on the train, a temporary disruption caused by a fire, nothing particularly out of the ordinary. I try to keep my blogging down to one significant post a day so as not to overwhelm my 3 readers. I made that decision before I realized that they were talking about drastically reduced service lasting for as long as five years. That freaked me out and I decided to blog after all.