Saturday, June 04, 2005

God Helps Those Who Help Themselves...

...to the books in the library at work.

I am currently in the process of supervising a minor construction project at my job, in which we are subdividing what passes for our library/small conference room in order to create two new offices. One full bookcase that had to be emptied out in advance of the construction contained random, gay-related books on pretty much every conceivable subject that somehow we've collected over the years. No one really knows what's there and they're not really resources for us, so I am advocating having everyone just take what looks appealing to them and we shall recycle the rest.

There were a few books on the topic of religion and sexuality; I thought I would take those, since I honestly doubt anyone else there would be even remotely interested. I'm not sure these are any good, but here are the titles I brought home:

Gay Theology Without Apology

Is the Bible True?

The Culture of Disbelief: How American Law and Politics Trivialize Religious Devotion

The Man Jesus Loved

and

Queering Christ

The last title sounds absolutely awful, but if it's garbage I know where to put it. Some titles I decided I would leave behind for others included:

Sappho Was a Right-On Woman

Men Who Beat the Men Who Love Them

True Stories of Homosexuals in College (because there were no pictures)

*Trivia: the popular maxim "God helps those who help themselves" is not found in the Bible.

No comments: