Saturday, June 25, 2005

Thank You for Not Beating Around The Bush

After work last night I stopped in at one of my favorite bars to kill some time before I met up with some friends.

As I looked around the room, I thought, "My...there's an unusually high concentration of guys that appeal to me in here, hmm..."

There was a group of 20-30 somethings, good-looking, nicely dressed, very all-American type, very "next door," you know and I was sort of looking them over. One of them looked over, broke away and approached.

"Hi, are you here for the Log Cabin event?"

Sigh. So close. And yet...sooooooo far.

6 comments:

Jess said...

Sounds like the plot to a movie...

One of them comes over to you. He's so charming you can't resist. A torrid affair commences and love ensues. In the end--so to speak--you convert him to more sensible political ways, and you live happily ever after.

Andy said...

Yeah, I probably should have been tipped off by the guy in the "Viva la Reagan Revolucion" t-shirt.

Matthew said...

What part of "they don't like us" do they not understand?

Andy said...

I think the "I have lots of money and don't want to pay taxes" mentality is the overriding issue for lots of people.

Matthew said...

Yeah, well, not to be overly harsh on our gay Republican brethren, but there were lots of rich, well-to-do Jews living in Germany during the '30s, and they ended up losing it all (if not their life).

When will folks learn that money isn't everything?

*sigh*

Andy said...

No, harsh was my response to the guy at the bar. My face wrinkled up in an involuntary convulsion of disgust and I just said, "Umm, no," in the same way I might have answered the question, "Do you think Antonin Scalia is hot?"

Then the guy said, "Well, that's okay, you can come join us. We don't bite." I mean, he was very nice, but I was like...no thanks.

Look, I could totally handle what I call a REAL Republican: you know, a genuine small-government, isolationist, fiscal responsibility, low-tax non-fanatical social conservative. But I'm sorry, in my book, if you support George Bush, you're either a profoundly deceived schmuck or you're evil.