Monday, June 06, 2005

Hoi, tsäme!

A big "Gruezi!" shout-out and thank-you to my peeps in Switzerland, after voters approved a measure extending the same tax and pension status as married heterosexuals to registered same-sex couples. It's not "marriage," but it's a heckuvalot closer than what we've got here.




Switzerland is a weird place. I lived in Zürich for eleven months. In many ways, it's conservative beyond Red-America's wildest dreams. Switzerland is closed on Sunday. No, really, I mean that. In fact, it closes at 4:00 on Saturdays. Some things are rather fascist: my building management left a note on my door to say that someone had complained that I had laundry hanging up to dry in my apartment that was visible from my window on a Sunday.

The Swiss also tend to be humorless and dull. I think this is part of their Calvinist heritage, the idea that if you're having fun you must be sinning. Laughing takes valuable time away from making money. They also have some issues with xenophobia. Some Swiss aren't even nice to people from the next town. And truly, once I saw a woman vacuuming her driveway.

Despite their conservative demeanor and traditional customs, socially they are a lot more progressive than conservative Americans, probably because Swiss conservatives actually read the Bible, instead of waving it around as either a fundraising tool, a weapon or the 2005 edition of Government for Dummies. (If Republicans were serious about enforcing the Ten Commandments, we'd have Superbowl Saturdays instead.)

So hurray for the Swiss, for passing this legislation. It's great not just because gays and lesbians now enjoy rights there that are denied here in the U.S., but because a majority of voters approved it and no one can cry, "Activist judges!" Given how reserved and circumspect the Swiss are, it just goes to show how behind we are. Come on, America, catch up.

3 comments:

p.p. said...

I love the Swiss. I have spent some time in Zurich and Lucerne. It's one of the most beautiful countries in all of Europe.

Once, as I was about to cross the street at the wrong time, a little old lady grabbed my shirt and started yelling at me -- pointing at the signal.

I agree it's conservative as hell. It only allowed women to vote in 1971(?). And, gaining Swiss citizenship is near impossible for a non native.

But good for the Swiss!

Anthony said...

The whole of Switzerland (as opposed to individual cantons) voting in favour of this is pretty damn impressive.

My own experience of living there - 18 months in Neuchâtel - was frustrating for all sorts of reasons, though it helped that the younger Swiss were keen to dispel the traditional image of their country being conservative to the point of dullness. This is definitely a step in the right direction.

Andy said...

Yes, Peter...the Swiss definitely play by the rules. Once I took a little puddle-jumper from Zurich to Venice; the flight wasn't full at all, and my seat was right behind the propeller which totally obscured the view. In order to be able to see the majestic Alps better, I moved a couple of rows back. This man looked at me as if I had suddenly removed all my clothes in church.