Monday, November 01, 2004

Counting down the hours

Wow.

I can't believe Election Day is tomorrow.

Readers of my blog -- all four of you -- might make the assumption that politics has been a lifelong pet passion of mine, but really that couldn't be further from the truth. I had no real interest in politics, and never voted except in Presidential elections. I remember commenting to a friend once that I considered politics a game, just like I considered an operatic career a game. I'd play my game and let the politicians play theirs. I had great faith that the American people were, basically, immutable as a rock, and took as much comfort from that as I found frustration. But really, I didn't give it much thought.

So what happened?

September 11 changed me. It woke me up. I started to pay attention. This blog took on many different forms today as I worked on it, but I came to the realization that my litany of complaints about the President is just too long. It just kept going.

So I'll say this. Since I started paying attention, I have not liked what I've seen. I gave Bush the benefit of the doubt when he was selected by the Supreme Court. I even recall saying I was glad the Republicans were in charge after 9/11 because I was under the impression they could tackle this enemy more decisively than a Democrat. But Bush has lied, and lied constantly, about everything. He has betrayed the American people. I don't fault his supporters, or most of them, anyway. They support him for all the right reasons. They've just been hideously deceived.

In the aftermath of September the 11th, I felt powerless and vulnerable. Tomorrow is the one day in four years where I find myself, quite literally, with power over the President of the United States. I cannot wait to walk into that voting booth and flip that switch and pull the big red lever. Buh-bye, George.

1 comment:

Trickish Knave said...

Aloha Andy, just thought I'd drop a comment to say I like your blog. Your way of thinking would fall right in line with the few locals here in Hawaii who actually do vote. They are not impressed with Bush either. I have a contrary opinion but you what they say about opinions.

I have read lot oabout the "lies" the media and others like to talk about but there are so many extenuating circumstances that I dimsiss the claims as easily as I dismiss the rhetoric about Kerry. I just don't trust Kerry or his views. Each president has his own mess he must clean up when taking office from the president before and it has been that way for decades.

I don't like arguing about politics because people are easily offended. They will talk about having anal sex with their wife with little impunity but get on a rampage when thier politics are challenged.

Anyway, it is my gut feeling that Bush will prevail. No polls told me that, tarot cards or tea leaves aside. Just a hunch. I would like to see where this goes and would like to see him finish what he started.

Good luck with getting your voice back and chasing the fat lady.

Greg- alohadump.blogspot.com