Thursday, November 04, 2004

Tomorrow is Another Day

I crashed early last night...I was exhausted from the restlessness of Tuesday night and the emotional drain from yesterday. Well..."drain" is not the right word, as it implies a slow, leaking activity. It was more like having your balloon popped. I watched a few episodes of The Simpsons on DVD (Season 1...oldies, but classics) but couldn't keep my eyes open. I slept very well.

Today, actually, I feel okay. Wouldn't call it "optimistic," per se, but more realistic. I am gaining acceptance of the reality of the situation. I am being mindful that despite what appears to be a dark forecast for the next four years and beyond, life, even so, proceeds only one day at a time. "Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof," we are taught. Next year's battles can be fought next year.

I had intended to wear all black today; however, I'm so fat my black pants literally wouldn't close, and my black dress shirt is missing a button. So I'm in charcoal gray and dark blue.

I have a confession to make. I am actually enjoying this book The DaVinci Code, which I've resolutely refused to read. It's my contrarian nature; I figure if everyone likes it, I probably won't. And absolutely everyone was reading this book. So, snob that I am -- I admit it, okay? -- I figured it was much too bourgeois for me. Alas, I'm totally into it. I am so engrossed in it that the world around me disappears (which lately is not a bad thing). I almost didn't get off at Columbus Circle today. Oops. So, thanks to my friends who insisted I read it.

I forgot the empty subway car rule this morning, too. For those of you who live outside of NY, you've probably never heard of it. It's very simple. Subway cars, especially at commute hours, are almost always packed. If a single car is empty or sparsely occupied, there's a reason. In the summer, it means the air conditioning is out and the inside temperature of the car is probably 100 degrees or more. In the winter, it means smelly homeless person. Normally the jaded Manhattan eye can quickly recognize an empty subway car with a homeless person in it through the windows as it shrieks to a stop in front of you, however this guy cheated. He was alseep on the bench directly under the platform side window. Several of us were trapped. Oh well. We all forgot. Everyone saw the empty car and came running. One of the classic blunders, right up there with not getting bogged down in a land war in Asia.

No comments: