Monday, March 21, 2005

Job Search Update

Thanks to everyone who gave such good advice on the post below.

I met with HR today and I think it went well. The salary and benefits package was more than I was expecting. That still doesn't make me love the job, but as I said, I had a price in mind, and they named it. I asked for a day or so to think about it, which they said was okay.

I still need to consult with a couple of advisors (um, Mom, Dad, the dog) but I will probably let them know tomorrow that I would like to be considered. They are still interviewing other candidates, so it's not an "offer" as yet. The advantage is mine, though, I would guess; they already know I can do the job, and they don't have to train me.

This office is just two blocks away from a beautiful chuch, St. Thomas Episcopal, that I stumbled upon during my first visit to New York back in August of 1993; at that time I had come to audition for the Manhattan School of Music, but wasn't at all sure that this radical uprooting of my life and plans was what I wanted. After my audition I spent time in prayer at the church, and felt that the answer was just to see what the outcome was: if I was accepted, I should go. If not, well...no worries, then.

So I went back there today. I have struggled long and hard for years to avoid doing exactly what I'd be doing here, but I find myself in a situation of need. Once again, the answer came back to just step forward and present myself for the opportunity, and trust God that the outcome will be the right one. It always has been before.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I trust you made the right decision :)

Trust your instincts. And yeah, I still think you're the cutest one of them all. And yes I know you're the far left one :)

I probably will send you a pic in the next few hours just so that you know who the heck you're blogging with :)

Hope my comments were of some help.

Jess said...

Good luck, and, if they offer the job, I hope it turns out to be better than you expect. Maybe they'll enhance your functions if you become permanent.

Anonymous said...

You are such a cool guy...I am glad you're my kid.
JF

Andy said...

I know I'm supposed to say thanks for the compliment, mom! but I can't help but think of the Simpsons episode where kids are auditioning for the part of Burns' heir. When Milhouse takes the stage, Burns calls out, "I said no geeks!"

Milhouse responds, "But my mom says I'm cool!" : )

buff said...

Congratulations. You proved yourself. You are the man.
Like your blog posts. Very on the scene with a flair for the investigative mindset.
Continued success. A new fan.

Andy said...

Bufftuff: Thanks for the nice compliments. Grrr!

Richie: where's the pic you promised? : )

Anonymous said...

Andy :) Check your email!