Thursday, March 03, 2005

The Meaning and Purpose of Art



What a difference some snow makes! I think I went to see The Gates on the wrong day! They're gone now, but will live on in photographs and the memories of people who saw them. This picture was taken by a friend of mine, and it was so much better than anything I took, I felt obligated to post it. Click to enlarge, it's worth it!

Of course one of the oldest debates known to man is, what constitutes art? I think one aspect that everyone could agree on is that art should be, to some extent, inspirational. The Gates were certainly inspirational! If you need proof, click here. There was another popular "spin-off," if you will, The Somerville Gates, which even gotten written up in the New York Times. Unfortunately, as with Christo's Gates, it was a temporary installation and the photos have now, sadly, been removed from the internet. I bet you can still find some around somewhere, though. Posted by Hello

No comments: