Sunday, January 01, 2006

Beautiful

I just got home from King Kong; I found it devastating. Despite all of the action and special effects and creepy-crawlies, it was the most emotionally gripping movie I have seen in a really, really, really long time. It is a profound visual essay on themes of innocence lost and the way mankind's exploitation of the natural world for profit leads inexorably to its destruction. For all the powerful, violent, scary and deadly creatures in the world, we ourselves are truly the only monsters.

Special thanks to Tin Man for taking me; I hope I didn't embarrass you too much by sobbing like the big softie I am.

8 comments:

Anthony said...

Aww, Andy ... Have a tissue!

It's come in for some mixed reviews, but I liked it. The characters certainly had more depth to them than in the original.

Jess said...

The original was a sad, ape-murdering thing, and I have no desire to see the latest version.

SailRacer said...

Great, and I thought I was going to go to make it my "light" movie after Brokeback.

Anono.Blogger said...

I found it to be too long, lacking good effects and trite.

A.B.

tully said...

Was beauty killed the beast!

tully said...

I was thoroughly impressed by the film, though I did not venture into looking for deeper messages and themes (there may have been none intended judging by the period in which the original was released without literary basis). My 9 year old cousin, however, was unimpressed, though not disgusted by the film, probably due to its 3 hour length.

Anonymous said...

and yet you didnt like the producers? you're insane

Andy said...

I prefer to call it sophisticated.