Thursday, January 05, 2006

Krank

I love the word "krank." It's the German word for "sick." I mean, "sick" is nice, too, in an aesthetic, onomatopoetic way, with a hissing initial s and a percussive final k, but "krank" seems related to our wonderfully descriptive word "gunk," and "gunky" is how I've felt for the past two days. I woke up yesterday with a horrible sore throat, and now I have a low fever and runny nose. Blech.

This morning I decided to run out and get coffee and do my grocery shopping. Of course I forgot the natural law that says the hotness of guys you run into on the street is inversely proportional to your daily ugliness factor.

At the grocery store I saw the cutest guy...sigh. You know when you see someone and you just know they're a nice person? I was ready to propose.

I did shower and actually shaved, but I let my hair dry on its own and put on some ratty jeans and an ugly t-shirt I only wear for housecleaning or sick days. My nose is red and my eyes are puffy and if I don't sniff loudly every 15 seconds or so, a little trail of snot starts to run out my right nostril. Yeah, I felt sexy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I've had a sore throat the last couple of days too. It must be going around. (Then again, I think our apartment has mold, and I just bought an air purifier.)

Anthony said...

Just as long as you don't start putting adverts in the classified section of the papers apologising to your mystery beau ...

Your mother's right. To say nothing of how much sniffing is a big turn-off.

Aethlos said...

i find my ugliness factor is DIRECTLY proportional to the hottness of guys i happen across...or, inversely prop. to how attractive i'm feeling any given day. but it wouldn't surprise me if i'm backwards on this too.