Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Communication Problems

An homage to my favorite new website, Overheard in New York:

On the elevator at the 181st Street A train station tonight I overheard one of the more interesting conversations in recent memory. An old lady was haranguing and old man; she's kvetching at him in Russian, and he responds in English.

Woman: Akh, skoreye ubegu!
Man: Yes, yes, I know.
Woman: Davno uzh porabi.
Man: Yes, you told me the same thing yesterday.
Woman: Bolyat moyi skori nozhenki so pokhodushki.
Man: All right, but what do you want me to do about it?
Woman: Vi bolshe mnye ne drug!
Man: Bah.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ouch. She said he's no longer her friend.

Andy said...

Bravo, Karol! I was wondering if I'd ever get a hit from someone who understood Russian. For the record, I don't at all except for a scattered word or two. I knew I was hearing Russian; for my transcription I lifted phrases out of the libretto of "Eugene Onegin." Extra credit for you!