Wednesday, April 27, 2005

You May Congratulate Me Here

Sorry, several people have noticed that the comment function on the post below doesn't seem to be working.

Anyway, further detail about the job, if you're interested: I will be the assistant to the deputy director (and also do HR and office management work) for one of the nation's most active and prominent gay rights organizations. A big change from the investment banking world! (And I couldn't be happier.)

I can't help but feel a bit validated, after turning down so many job offers from places where I've been doing temp work because I just really didn't want a corporate job. I kept telling my friends with my smiling naivete that I was sure there was something better out there for me and that I was just going to trust in my life path. Not that I didn't have private moments of doubt...

I almost accepted the position where I'm now finishing up my last days as a temp. The new job will pay half what this one would have, but it will come with much less grief (I hope!) and at the very least it's something I can care about. To me, that's worth more than money. Plus...it's casual dress! Yay! (Offset by the fact that it's at the far eastern end of Wall Street; couldn't possibly be farther from my house and still be in Manhattan, but oh well.)

Anyway, I'm sorry I haven't written anything of interest in several days...my mind has been preoccupied! Also hopefully now I will have more time. Thanks again to everyone for their support!

9 comments:

Jess said...

I tried to say so on the last post, but, as you know, I couldn't get the comment mechanism to work. Anyhow... CONGRATULATIONS! I hope it's everything you hope it will be!

Michael said...

Um, as one of those aforementioned friends, I think while we encouraged you to take any of serveral earlier-offered jobs, we never doubted there was something else out there for you. We just thought you could make some money along the way. You KNOW how I hate to be mischaracterized.

That being said, Congrats!

Andy said...

Yes, Michael's right, I'm sorry if I gave the wrong impression. Their encouragement was logical and practical, and I did take their advice to the extent that I agreed to apply for this current spot where I'm temping. I'm just glad I saw "the dark side" of the job in time before I was stuck. I didn't mean I felt validated in view of my friends, I just meant for the sake of my own choices and beliefs, if that makes any sense.

Anthony said...

Hooray, it's working again!

Not much to say that wouldn't repeat what I said in the little email I sent you. That said, isn't it wonderful to be paid to do something you care about?

Andy said...

Yeah, but already I'm thinking I've missed my calling as a tennis coach for buffalo.

Anthony said...

Who's to stop you from doing that part-time? As long as the buffalo don't mind practising their bankhand (hoof?) after you finish work, there's no reason you shouldn't pursue that ambition too.

Matthew said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Matthew said...

I'm glad this one worked out for you! Now you can leave the world of finance and work for a cause you believe in. The value of that point can't be overstated.

bohica said...

everyone should do something they love, Congratulations