Sunday, April 10, 2005

Sunday Stroll

Sometimes, I really, really, really love living in Manhattan.

Today was one of those days. Not a cloud in the sky, 72 degrees, no humidity. The kind of day when all seems right with the world, and New York takes on a fairy-tale like quality usually reserved for Woody Allen films.

I took the subway downtown to find the location of my job interview on Tuesday; I don't know downtown so well and as it's first thing in the morning, I didn't want to get lost. Also I wanted to know how long a trip it was. Today, with no crowds and no problems, I did it door to door in 45 minutes, though I suspect rush hour will take at least an hour. After finding the address, I went for a little walk.

I started at the far eastern end of Wall Street, where I spent some time gazing across the glittering East River at the magnificent Brooklyn Bridge; then I headed up Wall Street to Broadway, and paused for a moment at the monument that marks the spot where George Washington was sworn in as the first President of the United States; I wondered what he thinks of that other George W. now running things. If only Bush II's motto was "I cannot tell a lie."

From there I headed north along Broadway past City Hall, west on Canal to West Broadway, meandered up through SoHo, turned north on Sixth Avenue at Spring Street, then west on Bleecker to Seventh Avenue, where I stopped to have my haircut at Freetime on Christopher Street. Then I walked back up Seventh Avenue to 23rd Street, west to Eighth Avenue, and then doubled back to 14th Street and hopped on the subway. Altogether it was probably about four miles.

3 comments:

SailRacer said...

It was a gorgeous day to be outside, especially on a boat in City Island with a bottle of soft scrub, a brush and a hot guy across the dock cleaning his powerboat.

Anonymous said...

Toby and Andy,

You guys have to invite me to Manhattan. I would be thrilled to be visiting with two super hot gay guys :)

Matthew said...

It's nice to take stock on how fortunate we are to be alive, living where we live, and enjoying the health and surroundings that we have.

Some of us are very fortunate, indeed.

Take care.