Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Job Hunting is Like Dating

I think the interview went about as well as could be expected. I didn't say anything that I immediately regretted, such as, "Is the diet working?"

I smiled. I spoke with confidence about their work and the current political environment. I tried to flatter without sucking up. I tried to talk myself up without being arrogant. I did my best to let them know that I am very, very interested in this position, without coming across like I was begging.

I tried not to cry when they said they were seeing other people. I'm ready for commitment, here. I've got china patterns picked out and everything. I respect that they want to wait until after a second date.

I hope they call.

7 comments:

Matthew said...

I'm glad the interview went well. Did they tell you when they would be making a decision, or if there would be a further round of interviews? Was it a team interview or one on one? I hate team interviews...

I assume you are providing scant details on the job to avoid giving away too much info, but I would be curious to know (in general terms) what is appealing to you about this position.

Anonymous said...

Very happy to hear interview went well. Do keep me posted!

SailRacer said...

Andy old chap. I'm sure you worked it well! My fingers are crossed and I feel very good about this. It is sooooo you! Now, let's hope it's yours. Good job!

Andy said...

Question: I only have one suit. If I get called back for a second interview, is it enough if I wear the suit with a different shirt and tie?

SailRacer said...

Considering it is such a sexy suit and it is a position in a non-business dress office, I probably wouldn't spend the grand on a new Boss suit. I might have a Brooks Brother's suit that will fit if you're nervous about it.

Anonymous said...

I would NOT spend the bucks on the suit.

Anonymous said...

If a job hinges on a person's attire then it is not the job for you. One must present a professional appearance for interviews, but if it gets down to "They wore the same suit twice" then this is not the place for you.
JF